Friday, January 16, 2009

People are undependable!!!!!!

I had arranged to do an interview with the head bartender, brewmaster, and cook at Calapooia brewing for the past three days. This was supposed to lead to an interview with the owner in the immediate future as well. Well today was the day, 2:00 was the scheduled time, and guess what? I call to let the head bartender know that I'm on my way (after doing research and writing out questions for the second time this week) and he informs me that he's sent everyone home early. No sweat, I figure I can at least speak with him briefly and then return tomorrow. WRONG! He informs me that he's not up for doing anything today, gives me a litany of excuses, and tells me that, "Maybe sometime in a couple weeks we can do something." How do you go from making concrete plans to do something for someone over a three day period and then achieve this level of flakiness? This was my plan c and It's even fell through. I could've wrote this story four times over by now but I'm dependent on undependable people to acheive my goal. Now all I have is a bunch of facts with no live sources to go with them. Oh well, this is why I have a management degree to fall back on. It's a field where I actually have some control of my own destiny and can make things happen without having to depend on undependable people for my success. Good luck to all you Journalism students. I definitely feel your pain!

1 comment: